Sarcoidosis is a multisystem inflammatory disorder that commonly affecting the lungs. However, isolated renal sarcoidosis without lung involvement is a rare condition. Sarcoidosis is known to cause kidney involvement via different mechanisms. Hypercalcemia and hypercalciuria may trigger renal stones formation and result in obstructive uropathy. Sarcoidosis can also cause interstitial nephritis with or without granuloma formation in the kidneys. The true incidence of renal involvement in sarcoidosis is unknown as renal biopsy is not routinely performed unless there is presence of renal impairment. Renal sarcoidosis is a diagnosis of exclusion supported by the typical histopathological findings. Due to the scarcity of this disease, there is no universal guideline or recommendation regarding the diagnosis and treatment for renal sarcoidosis. Here we present a case that initially presented to us with rapid deterioration of kidney function, which was later proven to be renal sarcoidosis, followed by a literature review.
2. Hilderson I, Van Laecke S, Wauters A, Donck J. Treatment of renal sarcoidosis: is there a guideline? Overview of the different treatment options. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation. 2014 Oct 1;29(10):1841-7.
3. Javaud N, Belenfant X, Stirnemann J, Laederich J, Ziol M, Callard P, Ronco P, Rondeau E, Fain O. Renal granulomatoses: a retrospective study of 40 cases and review of the literature. Medicine. 2007 May 1;86(3):170-80.
4. Ahmed MM, Mubashir E, Dossabhoy NR. Isolated renal sarcoidosis: a rare presentation of a rare disease treated with infliximab. Clinical rheumatology. 2007 Aug 1;26(8):1346-9.
5. Farinha A, Assunção J, Felgueiras J, Vinhas J. Isolated granulomatous interstitial nephritis and renal failure: an unusual presentation of sarcoidosis. Portuguese Journal of Nephrology & Hypertension. 2012 Oct;26(4):304-7.
6. Naderi S, Amann K, Janssen U. Renal involvement in sarcoidosis: Histologic findings and clinical course. Nephrology@ Point of Care. 2019 Mar;5:2059300719834928.
7. Mahévas M, Lescure FX, Boffa JJ, Delastour V, Belenfant X, Chapelon C, Cordonnier C, Makdassi R, Piette JC, Naccache JM, Cadranel J. Renal sarcoidosis:
clinical, laboratory, and histologic presentation and outcome in 47 patients. Medicine. 2009 Mar 1;88(2):98-106.
8. Loke WS, Herbert C, Thomas PS. Sarcoidosis: immunopathogenesis and immunological markers. International journal of chronic diseases. 2013;2013.
9. Bergner R, Löffler C. Renal sarcoidosis: approach to diagnosis and management. Current opinion in pulmonary medicine. 2018 Sep 1;24(5):513-20.
10. Manthuruthil S, Maroz N. Renal Spectrum of Sarcoidosis. Sarcoidosis Diagnosis. 2016.
11. Qaisar H, Gor S, Cheema A, Amirpour A, Masud A, Currasmartin D, Hossain MA, Asif A. Sarcoidosis induced interstitial nephritis. A case series with literature review. Clin Case Rep Rev, 2019 Volume 5: 2-4.
12. Shah R, Shidham G, Agarwal A, Albawardi A, Nadasdy T. Diagnostic utility of kidney biopsy in patients with sarcoidosis and acute kidney injury. International journal of nephrology and renovascular disease. 2011;4:131-36.
13. Y. Rosen. Pathology of sarcoidosis. Seminars in respiratory and critical care Medicine 2007 Feb;28(1):36-52.
14. Eklund A, du Bois RM. Approaches to the treatment of some of the troublesome manifestations of sarcoidosis. Journal of internal medicine. 2014 Apr;275(4):335-49.
15. Correia FA, Marchini GS, Torricelli FC, Danilovic A, Vicentini FC, Srougi M, Nahas WC, Mazzucchi E. Renal manifestations of sarcoidosis: from accurate diagnosis to specific treatment. International braz j urol. 2020 Feb;46(1):15-25.
16. Papalia T, Greco R, Mollica A, Bonofiglio R. Acute Renal Failure in Sarcoidosis: A Review of the Literature. Arch Clin Nephrol 2 (1): 011-016. DOI: http://dx. doi. org/10.17352/acn. 2016;8(011).
17. Ghafoor A, Almakki A. Renal confined sarcoidosis: natural history and diagnostic challenge. Avicenna journal of medicine. 2014 Apr;4(2):44-47
18. Aouizerate J, Matignon M, Kamar N, Thervet E, Randoux C, Moulin B, Raffray L, Buchler M, Villar E, Mahevas M, Desvaux D. Renal transplantation in patients with sarcoidosis: a French multicenter study. Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology. 2010 Nov 1;5(11):2101-8.